Friday, October 5, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal


To bring in the month of October, the “official” pumpkin month in our house, I made up this recipe for our breakfast. I was so pleased with how it turned out I had to share it here. It was delicious hot that morning, but even more delicious the next day when Lucy and I had it cold for our dessert after lunch. I love it with walnuts or pecans and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Some other yummy toppings might be raisins, chocolate chips, whipped cream, the possibilities are many. I would definitely eat it plain for dessert after any meal. It was that good. The following recipe would be for one person. I quadrupled it for our family.
IMG_0206
1 1/2 cups milk, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Mix everything EXCEPT 1/2 cup of milk and egg in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until thick and starts to boil. In a small bowl, beat egg and 1/2 cup milk together. Stir egg mixture into oatmeal mixture and cook for three more minutes. Serve hot or cold with desired toppings.

1 comment: