Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chicken and Asparagus Saute

I have a bad, nasty habit. I do. Stop laughing:) I clip and save recipes from EVERYWHERE. my. whole. life. So, I have compiled a book of all these recipes I have thought were a good idea over the past and there. they. sit. Lucky for you (and me) I am trying to go through and "weed" out what I really will use and what isn't worth the time/money/effort/dietary fumble... I found this GEM from womansday magazine in 2006:)

1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut bite-sized
2 tsp. oil (I used olive)
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
8 oz. fresh asparagus, ends trimmed. Spears cut bite-sized
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 Tbsp. each chopped scallions and dill

First things first, I pressure cook my asparagus. Cheating, I know. BUT, my kiddos will eat it ALL DAY LONG if it is nice and tender. So, I pressure cook it in 1 cup of water for 60 seconds. It is still crisp, and bright green, but tender.
   Next, coat chicken in salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add chicken. Saute 5 minutes, or until cooked through. remove to a plate. In a cup mix remaining flour, the broth and garlic. Add asparagus to skillet and saute for one minute. Stir chicken broth mixture, add to pan and cook 1 minute until thickened slightly. Your asparagus should keep a bright green color. Stir in tomatoes; remove from heat. Stir in scallions and dill. Yumm!
    The boys ate this over whole wheat orzo, but I think it stands fine on its own and would be a great low carb option. So, there you have it! Now, go find some asparagus:)

1 comment: