Thursday, January 28, 2010

White Chicken Chili


I know Jen has a really yummy recipe for this too, but here's what we liked in it last week. It was another meal Isaac said was a "miracle," so it must've been good!

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, chopped bite sized
1 t. olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 T. minced garlic
15 oz. Great Northern White Beans
1 can chopped green chilis
1 1/2 t. cumin (I used a little more)
1 t. white pepper (I just used regular, we don't keep white in stock)
1/8 t. cayenne pepper (ok, I didn't realize we have no shaker on the top of our cayenne, so we ended up with significantly more cayenne and it turned out great)!
14 1/2 oz. chicken broth
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
1/2 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms

Heat oil oil in the skillet. Add chicken and cook until it is white. Coarsely chop onion and add. Add garlic and continue to cook. Drain chilies and beans and rinse. Put chicken mixture in a pot (I used the crockpot and slow cooked all afternoon). Add chilies and beans, cumin, white pepper, cayenne pepper mix thoroughly. In a small dish, mix cornstarch and water. Add chicken broth. Stir the broth mixture into crockpot. About 30 minutes before serving, add sour cream, cheese and chopped mushrooms. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You use it (the crockpot). But of course. Just a quick question. Does it cook hot? Because I haven't used my crockpot for a while because everything ends up WAY overcooked. I am thinking of purchasing one like yours. Oh, and sorry I didn't get to talk to you the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, another thing, could you add beans as one of the tags? I have a friend asking for beans recipes and told her about this blog. And since you are the administrator, can you add her to be able to post recipes? I will email you with her email.

    ReplyDelete