Tuesday, May 3, 2011

NEW Chinese Chicken Salad

You know me... Chinese. Chicken. Salad. My three favorite words in that order:) I found a lovely new cookbook I happen to be completely in love with... This was my first experiment from the cookbook (Now Eat This)


1 cup Rockin Asian Stir Fry Sauce-see below- (or low calorie, low fat asian sauce)
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp. chili garlic sauce
shredded chicken meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (abt 2 lbs- I think)
4 cups shredded red cabbage
4 oz. snow peas, strings removed
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 can water chestnuts, chopped (this was my addition and I think it was a good choice)
2 Tb. black sesame seeds
6 Tb. tvp for crunch

In a large bowl, whisk together the Asian sauce, lime juice and chili garlic sauce. Add the shredded chicken, red cabbage, snow peas, cilantro, sesame seeds and water chestnuts. Toss the salad to combine. Chill in the refrigerator. Add TVP right before serving for crunch:)
Serves 4

carbs for salad:  19 grams
Sodium:  mg
fat: grams
Calories: 221
Fiber: 5 g
Cholesterol: 44 mg
Protein:
25 g
Rockin Asian Stir Fry Sauce
1 Tb. toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bunch scallions, chopped finely
1 Tb. cornstarch
6 Tb. soy sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 Tb. rice vinegar (I used apple cider b/c I was out)
1/2 cup reduced sugar ketchup
salt and pepper

Heat a large nonstick pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sesame oil. Add the ginger, garlic, and scallions and saute, stirring often until very fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the soy sauce, chicken broth, rice vinegar, and ketchup and whisk to blend.

Whisk the cronstarch mixture into the saute pan an dbring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, whisking constantly until teh sauce has thickened. Abt2 mintues.

Store the sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or until it crawls out (if you're a Pieper) haha!

Thanks again to this awesome cookbook... more to come from Now Eat This. (I'm in love!)

Carbs for sauce: 1gram, Sodium: 233 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment